- Books are for use – Libraries acquire materials and make them accessible so that they can be used;
- Every book its reader – Every book purchased and acquired should be done so with specific readers in mind;
- Every reader his book – Library books and materials should be acquired to meet the needs of its reader;
- Save the time of the reader – Library policies, rules, procedures, and systems should be developed to save the time of the readers;
- The library is a growing organism – Libraries will continue to grow andchange throughout their lifespan.
https://potomac.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/potomac-logo-tag-final.png 0 0 University of the Potomac https://potomac.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/potomac-logo-tag-final.png University of the Potomac2018-06-12 15:00:042018-06-15 16:16:27The Library: A Growing Organism
The Library: A Growing Organism Have you ever browsed a library and its collections and asked yourself any of the following questions: Why are certain books always missing from the shelves? How did they know that I would I love these particular books and how did they decide to buy them? Why are there so many signs and notifications in the library? Every time I come here they have something new, why is that? If you have asked yourself these questions, after reading this article you will have the answers. The rules or laws which guide libraries and library services in the Western hemisphere, were developed by an Indian born librarian and mathematician, Dr. Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan, or S.R. Ranganathan, as he was called. He was born in India in 1892, completed his formal University studies in Mathematics and Library Science in India, and later migrated to England. While working as a librarian in London, he was nominated as Vice President of the Library Association of Great Britain. Dr. Ranganathan was a scientist at heart and believed that all human activities could be analyzed scientifically. Using scientific methodology, Ranganathan invented the term library science and subsequently created five laws which could be applied to library operations. Ranganathan’s Five Laws are: