• Q: When will my certification request be submitted to the VA?
    A: The SCO will start submitting enrollment certifications after the add/drop period. Certifications will take place week two of each term.
  • Q: How long will it take the for VA to process my certification?
    A: The VA generally takes 6 to 8 weeks to process enrollment certifications after they have been submitted by the SCO
  • Q: I will not be able to pay my tuition by the due date? Can I get a tuition deferment/payment plan?
    A: Tuition Deferments are available for Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607 (the deferment is not available for Chapter 33 students). Qualifying students may request a tuition deferment/payment plan during the admissions process or prior to start a new semester.
  • Q: Why haven’t I received my loan or grant money yet?
    A: No matter what benefits you are using, financial aid (grants, loans, etc.) will pay towards any balance you currently show due. When the military makes a payment, you will be refunded the difference (depending on your eligibility % and scholarships, it may be all of it or a partial amount).
  • Q: I just transferred to Potomac from another school, where I was using my Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits. Do I need to do anything to transfer benefits from my old school to Potomac?
    A: You will need to complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 to the VA. The form can be accessed electronically on the Veterans Benefitswebsite. In addition, please provide your certificate of eligibility to your admissions officer.
  • Q: Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill®benefits to my spouse or child?
    A: The Department of Defense allows individuals to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill®benefits to a family member if they are a member of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 2009, have served at least years in the Armed Forces, and agree to serve at least another four years in the Armed Forces. Up to 36 months of benefits may be transferred to family members in numerous combinations to multiple dependents.
  • Q: What are the requirements to receive the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?
    A: The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is available to students who are enrolled at least half-time on campus. This means that you must take a course load that is considered more than 50% of the full-time course load for your program.
  • Q: When can I expect to receive the books and supplies stipend and my BAH housing allowance?
    A: You will not begin to receive these benefits until UOTP has certified your enrollment. Please note that there may be a delay between UOTP’s certification of your enrollment and the VA’s processing and distribution of your payments. Please ensure that you are prepared to cover your living expenses in the event of a lengthy delay in VA payments.
  • Q: I submitted all my paperwork. When will I receive my GI Bill®payment?
    A: Generally, it takes the VA 3-5 weeks to process a submitted/receiving enrollment certification and render payment, though during peak high-volume junctures throughout the year processing times may increase. If you are concern, first check with the SCO to ensure that your certification has been processed on our end. If it has, call the VA at 888-442-4551 to confirm that they have received your certification.
  • Q: Will I have to attend orientation?
    A: Yes. Orientation is your opportunity to learn crucial aspects of student life, whether it is how to select classes or simply area-familiarization. There is also a mandatory orientation session for our military connected students that will go over the GI Bill as well as what resources are available to all military-connected students independent of benefit usage.
  • Q: Can I do concurrent enrollment?
    A: If you choose to attend another institution of higher learning while enrolled at University of the Potomac, you may be able to combine your enrollment hours to qualify for full time benefits. The second institution must be approved for VA Education benefits and the course or courses you are taking must be required by your degree program. Academic approval is required before enrolling in courses at another institution.